Friday, January 29, 2010

The iPad has no Flash? Please, GET OVER IT!

Oh, of all the ridiculous comments that have arisen in regards to the iPad, the worse that I have heard is the iPad having no Flash ability. I mean really ! So here is my take on this. Those of us who have the iPhone have had no problems ignoring flash, so I don't think that we will miss it on the iPad.

The Uber-Geeks are pointing out that 70% plus of the web is based on flash and that even Netbooks can show flash content without a bother. REALLY? Well today, I used an Acer Netbook and couldn't help but look at the battery life dwindle to nothing as the Flash "infested" site went on a rampage. I also couldn't help but notice how everything just slowed down. It was like looking at Java, back in the day.

Then, there's the Uber-Geeks who yell and scream about Java's control and stranglehold over the web. Come on Uber-Geeks! Let's look at reality for a minute ! Perhaps it has gone to the wayside for many of you, but YouTube is stepping aside from its Flash Driven content and moving to Quicktime and HTML5. Infact, HTML5 and its ability to play within the browser is catching on quickly and is said to be the next big thing in response to Flash, with nothing to download, as it is in the browser. With the introduction of Silverlight, which is also dwindling, even while being forced upon every Windows owner, it is not making a dent either.

I predict that HTML5, which Apple does support, will take over. And to be honest, Thank the Lord for that. Flash has been the culprit in many viruses and worms and almost destroyed Windows. It is a memory hog and a really slow boat to nowhere most of the times. Yes, I agree it looks great, but sorry, I don't really want it either. I can really do without the crazy and intrusive ads that pop up all over the place.

I agree with Steve, leave Flash out of the iPhone and definitely leave it out of the iPad.


/R.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will be trying unmoderated comments for a while. If this gets ridiculous, then I will have to move to moderating the comments once again.

Google